Saturday, May 8, 2010

Thoughts born from The Bishop's Man

This is not a review of Linden MacIntyre's book, The Bishop's Man. I read this book recently, and what he relates about the priest, who is the Bishop's agent to get rid of priests who go astray, and get them out of the public's view brought me to think about some of my expeiences with the Catholic clergy.
I went to Catholic schools, and the majority of the priests that I have met were good people. There are, however,some who do not match up to the picture that has been painted of what Christ's chosen should be. Unfortunately, these are people who occupy positions of authority in the Catholic church. As a result of my bad experience with these upper echelon of the clergy, I would say that they are the last persons to whom you should go if you are in need. They are examples of those who are always willing to receive, but never to give.
The priest in the Bishop's Man asks himself why he chose to become a priest. He does not know the answer to this question, but he does know that he suffers from great loneliness. From my own school days, I know how young men are made to believe that they are being called by Christ to follow him, and that resisting this call endangers their immortal soul. If you are a good student and seem to be religious in tendency, you become the target of recruitment to the priesthood.
These are some of the thoughts that came to me on reading this book. On the whole I think that the author struck the nail depicting the priest and the bishop.

No comments:

Post a Comment